Category: Case Histories
Founded in 1882 as the Western Reserve School of Design for Women, the university was renamed the Cleveland Institute of Art in 1949, and is now one of America's leading art and design academies. In a complex expansion project spanning two years, the George Gund building was adjoined to the Joseph McCullough Center for the Visual Arts and now forms a single entity. A large Mediamesh® screen on the façade of the new building grabs the attention of art enthusiasts and passers-by, even from great distances.
Known today as the Mellon Independence Center Building, Philadelphia residents know this historic building as the Lit Brothers Department Store, which occupied the building for nearly a century. This beautiful building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and currently houses the regional headquarters for the Mellon Bank with retail space on the ground level.
Cook Children’s Health Care System in Fort Worth, Texas includes one of the nation’s top children’s hospitals as rated by U.S. News & World Report. Over the past ten years, the hospital has undergone a number of expansions in their patient care areas as well as administrative and general facility spaces. In 2013, a seven-level parking garage was built specifically for employees. While the garage met the functional requirements of providing ample parking, Cook Children’s wanted to provide an enhanced façade at the busy intersection where the garage is located.
When Jennifer Steinkamp was tasked with designing the frieze in the entrance of the Governor George Deukmejian Courthouse in Long Beach, California, she was able to realize her design goals through the use of GKD Mediamesh. The Mediamesh frieze – titled Murmuration – celebrates the ostrich feather and its connection to the Egyptian goddess of justice, Ma’at. With GKD Tigris already chosen for the court house atrium, Steinkamp felt it the perfect opportunity to incorporate Mediamesh.